Skip to main content

Trending in the Industry: Workforce Training and Knowledge Retention

• 2 July 2024
  • 1 reply

The WSJ recently published an article about Boeing's huge challenge of training new employees after many of their experienced workers left.

This got us thinking about our own experiences with knowledge transfer. Have you ever started a new job and felt overwhelmed trying to learn everything from scratch? Or maybe you’ve been the one tasked with training newbies while juggling your regular work? It’s tough, right?

Boeing's story is a reminder of how important it is to have good training programs and ways to pass on vital knowledge. When seasoned workers leave, they take years of experience with them, and it's not easy to fill those shoes.

We’d love to hear your stories. How have you handled situations where important knowledge needed to be passed on? What’s worked for you and what hasn’t? Maybe you’ve discovered a great way to make sure new team members get up to speed quickly, or maybe you’ve faced some hurdles along the way.

Let’s chat about it! Your experiences and insights can help all of us figure out the best ways to keep our teams strong and knowledgeable. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I’m the type that learns by doing. If I am doing something new, it’s easier for me to do the work with guidance so I can remember how to next time. I’ve found that a lot of maintenance personnel are the same way. But we need to remember that not everyone is able to learn like this. I had a colleague who needed to read the procedures and manuals to be able to do things. It was difficult for me to understand at first. But as we worked together more, I found it helpful if he read and found the shortcuts or tricks to make it easier. This has led to my reading on procedures and keeping manuals and processes close when doing new tasks.