Question

Facility Assets

• 2 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Would it be necessary to add every single smoke detector and horn strobe as individual assets? What about receptacles? It seems to me just having an asset named “Smoke Detectors” and “Receptacles” would work. Especially if we are only replacing one every year or two. 

This came up because I recently had to add (3) smoke detectors to my system. 

3 replies

Userlevel 2

If you are trying to track each one by it’s location, then yes, you would need to add each one as it’s own asset. The other way you could do it is set up one asset as “smoke detectors” and set a procedure for replacing them (or just the batteries) and list the locations on the procedure. You could then set one reoccurring work order for whatever interval.

The key in this case is having each one listed in some way so none of them get missed. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi Scott,

I have done it different ways depending on the specific situation.

First, I would echo what Justin said. I have used “smoke detectors” as a blanket asset and it can work quite well. Setting the PM cycle is the best way to keep up with maintenance and avoiding nuisance issues.

In managing a series of non-system detectors in an apartment building for example, then I have set up each one. I’ve done small buildings all as one and some broken down by suite/apartment. That way I could track any location specific issues and dig into the cause.

In larger buildings with detectors managed by a fire alarm control panel (FACP), then I just put in the main fire panel, any sub or booster panels, and any other significant components that might carry a higher failure rate and/or cost for repair/replacement. within the parent fire alarm system, I would use the smoke detector asset or setting sub-assets by floor or wing gives the opportunity to keep up with area specific problems more easily. Generally, residential detectors are good for 10 years. If system connected smoke detectors are tested and blown or vacuumed out annually, they can see a decade or more of service without trouble.

Regarding outlets, I haven’t ever gone with that level of detail. Unless they are abused or suffer some unexpected incident, they will likely function trouble free for a very long time.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

A possible way to do this would be to name the detectors or receptacles with their location in the name. i.e. “Smoke Detector; second floor building 1” or something to that effect.

Then set you recurring work order with a start date, and time if you like, and an ending date. This will allow to have a period of time or days to complete the task. This way you can separate the areas out and keep them organized. This will also allow you to assign them to different people or teams.

Hope this helps.