Question

How do you handle "open assignment" PMs?

• 15 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
  • Advanced Operator
  • 14 replies

I have a nightshift counterpart that works on the same equipment, so most of the PMs can be done by either of us. In practice, we have planning meetings that designate who, specifically, will be doing the work. However, for reporting purposes, this gets messy fast. If both of us stay assigned to all the PMs, reporting will show that we’re both doing double the work. If we unassign one or the other, one of us is likely to lose visibility the next time it pops up. Reassigning each work order every time also gets tedious and takes away from wrench time.

How does your organization handle work order assignees that stay flexible? Do you leave both workers assigned and bite the bullet on reporting or do you take the time to deliberately reassign each work order?

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I will assign it to a team. Usually it is myself and my technician or myself and our manufacturing engineer. Then when the work order is done, whoever did the work will log time to it. This will allow me to track the work through the team member and where his time is spent. If I go to their profile, I can see both recent activity and work history. This gives me a place to track what each of us have been doing.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I will assign it to a team. Usually it is myself and my technician or myself and our manufacturing engineer. Then when the work order is done, whoever did the work will log time to it. This will allow me to track the work through the team member and where his time is spent. If I go to their profile, I can see both recent activity and work history. This gives me a place to track what each of us have been doing.

We use team assignment as a way of adding stakeholders to work orders. Many of our users have limited visibility so they wouldn't be able to see the work order otherwise. For us, when a user is assigned, there's some level of responsibility involved but a team is just for visibility. 

That's really interesting though. User activity is one of those features that feels like a gem buried under the rest. It's not the easiest to come across in regular work patterns but I always love stumbling across it when I do. Are you looking for anything in particular when you scan through this data?

Yes, leave both people on the PM work order.  Ideally,  and for reporting purposes,  it would be nice to have each technician display and log their time worked on the PM.  Then that data display in the reporting for each technician.