Question

Offline MaintainX Training Materials

• 12 February 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

How often, if ever, do you or your maintenance teams require MaintainX training materials that can be accessed offline?

For context, we have training material available in MaintainX Academy and product documentation in our Help Center, but both require access to the internet. In the past, our customers have occasionally asked for training materials as PDFs, so they can share them with their teams offline or in some cases even print them. This type of request doesn’t come up too often, so I’m trying to get a sense of whether maintaining offline training material would serve a real need.

To help illustrate, an example of offline training material would be something like a PDF ‘MaintainX Technician Training Manual’ that could be downloaded via a portal accessible to anyone with a MaintainX account.

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

We will have all our maintenance employees go over there maintainX trainings once a year just as a refresher. I will have them do this at the same time we do all other trainings. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks @pat smith - this is helpful insight. If I may press you for a few more details, when your maintenance employees are going through their annual training, do they typically have access to a computer? Do the other (non-MaintainX) trainings require access to the internet?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

they do have access to a computer, but all the other training we have to do is all on paper for now. we are looking at digitizing everything very soon. one thing I will do on the maintainX side is when we do the trainings I will create a work order for the training session, and it will have everything that we go over in the description I will then assign each person to it that way I can have a quick point to look at without having to drag every piece of paper out. also, I will scan and attach each training module that is on paper to the w/o in the file area.

Badge

I could see keeping an up-to-date “refresher” level training guide that get’s people up and running while also reminding regular users if you perform annual training. It’s nice to have offline training materials for reference. But I am not sure how great a need there would be. Of course, I always think it’s better to give the customer more options, but I don’t know how that might constrain your design team.

Oh! Also, a handout for requester best practices or anything like that for requesters as well as including a blurb about how and why using MX benefits both parties would be nice to have, but that’s almost more like marketing material at that point (2 birds?).

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Is there a downside of having a printable offline version for reference? We have yet to implement user trainings but for us, one of the biggest blockers in training operators would be that the majority of them use a shared tablet in workstation mode to access MaintainX since they’re not issued laptops or phones. An offline alternative would really be useful in this situation. As far as certificates or proof of training, I would recommend having a quiz-only version for those doing the trainings offline.

On the topic of training, this might be a bit of a stretch for this platform since it’s not primarily an LMS but it would be super helpful if users could have certifications or trainings attached to their profiles. Even better if those tags would authorize/restrict being assigned to certain tasks. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I appreciate the additional insights on this topic - thank you!

@DrDoctor re: a handout for Requesters - this is great feedback. As it happens, my team is currently working on training material for Requesters, aiming to publish within the next couple of months. Some of the assumptions we are looking to validate are whether Requesters would benefit more from shorter training material that is hosted offline (or at least outside of our Academy), due to their more casual relationship with MaintainX. We can definitely consult our Marketing team to incorporate language on the benefit to both the Requester and their organization, if it would help them see the relevance of MaintainX.

@Mike there is no outright downside, but as @DrDoctor suggests, it is more a question of design resource allocation. My team can put effort into maintaining offline training resources, but it would come at the expense of creating new online training material hosted in our Academy. Ultimately, we want to make sure that each learning audience has the best options available to them when it comes to accessing training material (be it online or offline). I think your suggestion to pass training/certification data to a MaintainX user’s profile is really innovative. It would be up to our Product team as to whether functionality such as this could be incorporated into the platform, but I can definitely pass this feedback along. In the meantime, we are working on having users’ training/certification data from MaintainX Academy reflected in MaintainX Community in the form badges (not the same as what you are suggesting, but in the same vein).