Question

Single Person Departments

• 29 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

As a single person department, I look to MaintainX to help me manage my work, the work of contractors and volunteers, as well as making information and reporting as easy and fast as possible. With this platform being the resource available, I also need to work out how to use it to help me with capital projects. I’m curious what one person or very small departments find are effective ways to use MaintainX for projects large and small.

3 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi Tim, I have a relatively small department of 7 direct reports, so hope this is relevant.

Personally I find the biggest advantage is work load management and tracking. Having the input process with Requests, to Approving/Declining, to Work order status updates (on hold, completed, etc.) is really valuable for my own sake and also for my internal “customers”. This helps me with smaller projects as I can also add photos, videos, and documentation to my work orders.

Not sure if I would recommend it for larger projects, that’s definitely a relevant term, but I would suggest considering a more dedicated project management platform for that (MS projects, Asana, Monday, etc.).

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks, Chris.

I’m working with our staff who coordinate the volunteers to track some of what they do. Their primary function isn’t facilities related, but they do handle certain facility related tasks. It’s never been tracked before so capturing that effort is important to not only knowing that they give their time, but also knowing more about the costs that we avoid thanks to them.

Certainly MaintainX isn’t project management software. I have used MS Project before, but more software isn’t a reality at this point in time. Jumping off of one thing you mentioned, I think that using reporting to update people on work order status more will be helpful.

Thanks for your thoughts and I’ll be looking at how they can aid me in using MaintainX better!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I have department that consists of myself and one technician. We use Maintain X to organize timing for outside vendors. This is how I keep track of who and when they are to be on site for preventive maintenance or repairs.

We also have allowed the department leads access as requestors so they can input requests for maintenance. They know the machines better than anyone due to the fact that they operate them on a daily basis, 

I also use the projects categories to implement projects and link my operations manager, who is an administrator, and our CEO who is a user of Maintain X. This gives them visibility of needs and requests I am implementing.